...#5...the little side table...{a makeover}

8.16.2011
"What are you going to do with that?" (he asks)

"I'm not sure...but isn't it pretty cool?" (I answer)

"I guess so...whatever. Can you make sure it doesn't stay in the garage too long?" (he asks)

"Sure, honey...no worries!" (I answer)

Such is the "conversation" my husband and I have every. single. time. I come home from a thrift store. (In fact, I'm pretty sure I've blogged about this same convo before). This particular time I happened to have come home from Savers with this little $6.99 end table...




Here's a close-up just in case you didn't gag enough the first time around...


I guess it's made of solid wood...at least the majority of it...the top & the top of the little shelf underneath the drawer are not solid...I'm guessing they are some sort of veneer over plywood. Or something equally pretty. 

I should have taken a shot of the inside of that drawer, too...the cardboard bottom (maybe it was plywood missing some of the plies in some areas) was pretty warped & yucky. I'll just let you use your imagination...

This little gem sat in our garage for about 3 months before I decided to do something with it...(so much for not letting it sit for too long).

Now let me back up just a little...I have always adored the look of mirrored furniture...like this...


This amazing little beauty is from Horchow...the Claudia Mirrored Chest...a mere $799.00 on sale...
But seriously, $799.00?????? Ummm...no.

Soooo, I thought maybe I would do something with mirrors on this piece...BUT when I started thinking about just how often mirrors would have to be cleaned with the 30 sticky little fingers that roam this house, I decided they just weren't very practical. So, I decided to try to sort-of get the look with paint...shiny silver paint. Yep.

I also wanted to add something to the top of the piece...I thought about a monogram but I already have a few of those around the house, so I decided on a number instead. I suppose I could have also gone with our address or wedding date or something, but I kind of wanted a single number...so I decided on "5" - the number of people in our family...

So, after all that...here we are...the finished piece...


I taped off the edges of the shelf/top surfaces & used a vinyl stencil for my "5"...then I just painted the top/shelf with some Old White. 



I'm still not quite sure what to decorate the top with yet...maybe some new fall decor will give me a little inspiration...


Oh, and remember the yucked-up drawer I mentioned? I Mod Podge'd some Amy Butler Midwest Modern fabric inside...


I couldn't get the edges of the fabric to look great, so I took some deco-tape, covered the edges & Mod Podge'd that down, too...much better...


I'm kinda diggin' it...
And I really like the way it looks amidst all the dark wood in my living/dining room...



Here are the awesome parties I'm linkin' up to this week...

Today's Creative Blog
Savvy Southern Style

On My Instagram